FIELDS OF APPLICATION
The Snow Melt Analyser (SMA-2) is an innovative sensor for automatic and continuous measurement of diverse parameters of the snowpack, for example, snow density, liquid water content, and ice content. With those data, a reliable prediction of the snowmelt as well as the expected water runoff can be determined. The measurement data of the SMA-2 are very helpful for avalanche and flood warning services, power plant operators as well as water reservoir management or water management in general.
The SMA-2 sensor combines the measurement technologies of the SPA-2 sensor and the snow scale. The system is installed horizontally at ground level and analyses, in particular, the bottom layer of the snowpack, as this is the most interesting layer regarding the water run-off. An increase in the liquid water content signalizes the beginning of snowmelt. A useful extension for a snow measuring station with SMA-2 would be the USH-8 snow depth sensor.
- Resolution 0,1 %
- Dimensions aluminium frame: 3,000 x 600 mm, switch cabinet: 70 x 100 x 55 mm
- Protection IP 65
- Power supply 10.5 … 15 VDC
- Power consumption max. 50 mA (for 5 sec.), < 2 mA (stand-by)
- Operating temperature -35 °C … +80 °C
- Output serial interface RS 485, SDI-12
- Parameters measured liquid water content, ice content, air content, snow water equivalent